available for sale
of scale - the central part of the design. Those tini
pieces of glass are all hand-cut and meticulously arranged.
The hand drawn sketches and preliminary color choices.
I was having second thoughts about my original color palette so I laid out a selection of colors I liked for the background to get a feeling for what worked best with the arranged flower.
Progress on the foliage surrounding the flower. Initially I planned to create a broken glass pattern as the background (seen in the neighboring flowers) but as I took a few days to think about the colors, I also changed my mind about the background pattern.
The mosaic is glued, the tape is peeled and its ready to be grouted!
A few weeks following the completion of my mosaic gazania, I encountered my first real gazania while walking home from the grocery store. I couldn't believe my eyes as they flowers looked so exotic and somewhat out of place just growing along the curb of a busy street. Using my phone, I shot an instagram of one and I think it matches up pretty well with my mosaic rendition - what a fun coincidence. Seeing it among its leaves also showed me that I made the right call on the color and pattern for the space surrounding the flower.